Family Success Initiative
The Family Success Initiative (FSI) is a program through LA Unified's Division of Adult and Career Education that empowers families to support student success by teaching the skills to connect with, participate in, and become leaders within their school communities. FSI honors the unique strengths of bilingual families.
The Early Learning Lab just released Stay Play Grow, available at https://earlylearninglab.org/stay-play-grow/#partners, a free app designed to support parents and caregivers during the coronavirus outbreak and beyond. The app is a one-stop source of quality, trusted resources curated to help families with children 0-5 make the most of their time together.
The app offers resources in English and Spanish (under Recursos en Español) on children’s learning and development, including simple activities to help children learn through play at home; self-care strategies; how to get help meeting basic needs including food, shelter, diapers, and more; and health & safety resources, including how to talk to children about the ongoing health pandemic and racial inequality crisis.
Resources for Parents on Social Justice and Anti-Bias
- Children’s Responses to Crises and Tragic Events
- Building Resilience to Cope with Stress and Trauma
- American Psychological Association: Talking to kids about discrimination
- Embrace Race: 8 Tips for Talking to your Child about Racial Injustice
- Child Mind Institute: Racism and Violence
- How to Talk to Kids about Race and Racism